The Deadliest Animal in the World
If you are like me, you guessed wrong. According to the record, the mosquito ranks number one in causing deaths among humans. Between 750,000 and 1,000,000 deaths are caused each year by mosquitoes. Of the several diseases associated with this small creature, malaria accounts for 500,000 + of these deaths.
Most of us think of a mosquito as a nuisance—and in many cases that is true. However, in many areas of the world, the threat of illness/death from this tiny creature is an ever-present reality.
Any spiritual applications? Of course.
1. Like the mosquito, evil is ubiquitous—we live among fallen/depraved humanity (Romans 3:23). Sooner, rather than later, evil will confront us personally (1 John 1:8-10).
2. Being diligent—on guard against being infected—is a constant requirement. No becoming careless or cavalier. (Matthew 26:41). A “mosquito net” is required when you sleep!! (2 Corinthians 11:14).
3. Like the mosquito, sin can begin small, even unnoticed. It is later, when the “infectious bite” has passed its poison to the bloodstream,
that the external “symptoms” (greed, lust, etc.) are obvious (James 1:15).
4. Temptations come in specific “seasons” and/or places. For example, the mosquitoes are gone when the temperature is far below zero. It is a good idea to “freeze out” the devil and his minions (Ephesians 4:27). Simply, stay away from the places/people that are places of temptation (1 Thessalonians 5:22).
5. Man struggles with “Mosquito borne” sickness and death— malaria, dengue fever, West Nile virus, chikgunya virus, etc. At least for some of these diseases, there is no known cure. However, there is a cure for the “sin disease”—the blood of Jesus Christ! (2 Corinthians 5:21).
Do not be deceived!
Do not consider any sin a small thing.
Be diligent in keeping your heart pure.
He that “offends” on one point is “guilty of all” (James 2:10).
Hate the devil—for all he does (can do) to the human heart/life. “I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.” (2 Corinthians 11:14 NLT).
JESUS IS COMING SOON!
Written by H. Maurice Lednicky
Submitted by Pastor Ruth Kaunley